This week saw my country miss another opportunity. An opportunity to re-invent / re-position a nation's mindset or at least start-off on a course towards that exploration. The events (refer links to get context) to me confirmed another dangerous and potentially contagious aspect of my country's downfall - the inability to unite for any #Cause.
I am wondering if its patriotic to defend one's country from external knowledge based attack (Knowlede being the power in this Global Economy!) if that knowledge can help build a cause which will make a positive impact to the society. In this connected world, isn't it akin to a 'I'm OK, You're NOT OK' stand?
I was mulling over about this missed opportunity today morning when I received the following message from a Whatsapp group about #India.
1) We'd rather spend more on daughters wedding than on her education.👰
2) We live in a country where seeing a policeman makes us nervous rather than feeling safe.😰
3) In IAS exam, a person writes a brilliant 1500words essay about how
Dowry is a social evil, Impresses everyone and cracks the exam. One
year later same person demands a dowry of 1 crore, because he is an IAS
4) Indians are very shy and still are 121 Crore.😱
5) Indians are obsessed with screen guardson their smartphones even
though most come with scratch proof Gorilla Glass but never bother
wearing a helmet while riding their motorbikes.😅
6) Indian Society teaches 'Not to Get Raped', rather 'Don't Rape' !😷
7) Reserved people get more benefits than deserved people...!😯
8) The worst movies earn the most.😶
9) A porn-star is accepted in society as a celebrity, but a rape victim is not even accepted as a normal human being.😶😕
10) Politicians Divide us, Terrorists Unite us.😓
11) Everyone is in a hurry, but no one reaches on time.😥
11) Priyanka Chopra earned more money playing Mary Kom, than Mary Kom earned in her entire career.😂
12) Its dangerous to talk to strangers, but it's perfectly ok to marry one.✌
13) Most people who fight over Gita and Quran, have probably never read any of them.😪
14) The shoes we wear are sold in air-conditioned showrooms, the vegetables we eat are sold on the footpath😐
I see a lot of #Possibilities hidden in these 14 points and will be devising a strategy to impact some of these at a personal level (as a start).
First and foremost among that would be to devise ways to reach out to my boys (9 yrs and 3.5 yrs old) the virtues of respecting female gender. I will also need to be exemplary in my behaviour as that's the most #visual (and hence powerful) tool available at my disposal.